Skip to main content

Deaf, Hard of Hearing, Hearing Loss

Our network of crisis centers offers many services for people who are deaf and hard of hearing, including veterans.

How To Take Care of Yourself

If you're struggling, you can videophone, call, text, or chat online with the 988 Lifeline. We're available 24/7 and confidential. There are crisis counselors available to listen and support you without judgment. When contacting the 988 Lifeline, there is no need to reveal your condition unless you choose to. The crisis counselor will be able to support you either way.

Make a safety plan. Have a step-by-step plan ready for if/when you feel depressed, suicidal, or in crisis, so you can start at step one and continue through the steps until you feel safe. Having a template on hand with an established plan may be helpful, or you can get help and guidance at

Resources for people who are Deaf, Hard of Hearing, or have hearing loss:

If you are deaf or hard of hearing, you can chat with a 988 Lifeline crisis counselor 24/7 by:

  • For deaf or hard of hearing ASL users, call 988 Videophone – click here to read the terms of service
  • Online chat – Click the chat button below
  • 988 Text – Send any message to 988 to start a text conversation
  • For TTY Users: Use your preferred relay service or dial 711 then 988.

If you’re having trouble accessing the 988 ASL Videophone, you can Contact Us to share the technical challenges you’re experiencing so we can get things fixed.

If you are a Veteran or service member with hearing loss, or any person concerned about someone who is, there are several ways to contact the Veterans Crisis Line:

  • Text with a Veterans Crisis Line responder – Send a text message to 838255
  • Online chat with a Veterans Crisis Line responder – Click the chat button below

Get in touch

Call the Lifeline

For Deaf/Hard of Hearing ASL Users, Call 988 Videophone


Call or Text the Lifeline anytime, 24/7


Call or Text With The Veterans Crisis Line


For TTY Users

Use your preferred relay service or dial 711 then 988.